Tuesday, April 17, 2007

My Oatmeal Bars



My exams are officially over! Well they ended last Saturday and yes the holidays are here! Which means, you'll be reading more about my escapades in the kitchen. There are so many recipes that I've bookmarked and cannot wait to try. Banana bread is one of them! But that's for another time.

Today's going to be all about oats. Yea, I was feeling kinda bored the other day and decided to come up with my own oatmeal bar.

Okay, honestly, it was night time and my hands were itching to bake something so I rummaged through my baking 'supplies' and came up with a super healthy bar. Well, at least I tried my best to make it healthy!

It did turn out healthy. Or at least that's what I like to think. Seriously, I 'dumped' in whatever healthy stuff I could find: wheatgerm, wholemeal plain flour, etc. I didn't have nuts or sesame seeds (these would have been really good) so I happily threw in some poppy seeds.

The outcome wasn't so bad. I ended up with a really yummy nutritious bar that wasn't too sweet. The texture was interesting though - it wasn't crispy or crumbly. It had bite and it was nice to have with coffee or tea.

Love the raisins because it gave the bar some sweetness but wasn't too overpowering. As for the poppy seeds... well they made my bar special. The recipe is below but do note that it was a trial and error thing so it might not be perfect. Feel free to substitute ingredients wherever!

For all those still studying hard for your exams, here's a virtual piece of oatmeal bar for you:



Study hard! And eat more oats :0) it's good brain food. hahaha

___________________________________________________

Cheryl’s Oatmeal Bars

3 and ¼ cup rolled oats
250g butter
½ cup wholemeal plain flour
¼ all purpose flour
¼ cup toasted wheat germ
¼ cup almond meal
1 cup raisins
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/8 cup poppy seeds
2 eggs
½ cup orange juice

1. Melt butter, add in sugar and eggs. Mix well.
2. Add raisins, poppy seeds and flours, wheatgerm and almond meal
3. Pour the orange juice into the mixture and stir thoroughly
4. Add in oats and mix well.

Bake at 180 degree celcius for about 30 to 35 minutes.

2 comments:

Papilles et Pupilles said...

They seems so yummy !

Anonymous said...

may i ask where can i purchase poppy seeds?

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter