Friday, November 24, 2006

Thunder Tea Rice

Hakka Lei Cha

I have been hiding in the library all week trying to cram all the info I need for my exams which start next Tuesday and it has taken a toll on me. Am having a cold and for some reason, I can't stop sniffing. It's really bad! Especially since I have a marathon to run next Sunday - all 42.195km of it. I really don't know how I'm going to survive. Ah... anyway I've been taking Febs, some kind of cold relief tablets Lina recommended me. I think it's quite effective. I hope it rids me of my runny nose soon!

On a different note, I have to rave about this Thunder Tea Rice that I've been wanting to try ever since I saw it featured on television some time back. It's actually Hakka Lei Cha, a super duper healthy rice dish made from the healthiest of ingredients - basil leaves, green tea leaves, mint leaves, Chinese parsley, coriander leaves, etc. And mind you that's just the stock. The rice itself is served with loads of good stuff like anchovies, okra, cabbage, tofu, long beans, and spinach:

close up of lei cha

That's alot of green stuff! Full of fibre and lots of nutrients! This dish actually tastes good. Well to me at least. I know JF cannot stand the potent smell of the green stock. By the way, you can choose to have brown rice (which I did), instead of the normal white rice.

You can find this dish at Vivocity's Food Republic (which I love by the way):

Food Republic at Vivocity

I still like the one at Wisma Atria, but man, the one at Vivo is HUGE and the furniture is so old-school!

Interior of Food Republic at Vivocity

I tell you, Vivocity enthralls me and it's only my third time there! Love the place, especially the supermarket. Haha. I took some pictures at the Naturally Marketplace by Cold Storage. Post it up when I have the time.

Anyway, to all the students having their exams, 'jia you!' I'm in the same boat as you and we're all going to make it to the finish line!

__________________________________

Thunder Tea Rice
China Square Food Centre
51 Telok Ayer St.
#01-31

Amoy St. Food Centre,
7 Maxwell Road
#-01-11

Food Republic @ Vivo City
No. 1 Harbour Front Walk
#03-01

13 comments:

Sammy said...

I've always been amazed by this Lei Cha but my gf is always hesitant to try it cause it seems so weird. I think I'll be adventurous and try the one at Amoy St the next time rd.

Anonymous said...

hhi! i love lei cha too..but the best ones i had was in JB coz the mint leaves are more fragrant..but the SG ones have more ingredients and brown rice alternative (which i like too!)

btw, wats the first sinful food u would like to indulge before n after the marathon? i am taking part this yr and the no.1 food in my list is prata~...*sinful*

Anonymous said...

I am Hakka and I have not tried Lei Cha before...shameful! Your pictures make it look so delicious (plus all the healthy stuff in it) that I will brave the crowds at Vivocity to try it very soon!

Good luck for the exams.

Anonymous said...

Get well soon, prepare some nutritious soup!

All the best for your exams too!

Anonymous said...

there's also a good lei cha stall in geylang. they also sell a good yong tau foo stuffed with meat and not the sotong paste that is usually sold outside. hakka yong tau foo is meant to be that way.
i'm a hakka and sad to say, not many have tried this dish or even know about it so I'm pretty glad you shared this here with your readers.

Anonymous said...

i just discovered thunder tea rice last year and I really love it! The one at China Square is really good... only problem is you get hungry again 2 hours later :)

joone! said...

oh i love this too! i first discovered it at the Amoy Street Food Centre location, and it feels so healthy!

Anonymous said...

hey the vivocity and amoy street outlets are by the same owner, but vivocity is more expensive than the amoy st one... and i really think the lei2 cha2 u find in JB is much better than those here! especially when they haf more ingredients like red beans etc...

Anonymous said...

thanks for this post! i was so sad when my favourite lei cha fan place closed down (it was on amoy street). now i hv something to look forward to when i return to singapore! :)

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to try it but I'm not a big fan of vegetables. Your post makes me eager to just give it a shot though. By any chance, isit possible to request for no coriander? I can't stand the smell of it!

Anonymous said...

The lei cha at Boon Lay hawket center is the best I've eaten so far. And the rice is not gooey or anything (which I will refuse to eat). Give it a try some time ya. Its verra verra fabu

Anonymous said...

Is it possible if you research on its recipe? It'll be nice if I can try cooking it... LOL!

the baker said...

Ooo that would be a fun challenge. i might just do that. it would be nice to have a home-made version. :)

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter