Sunday, November 26, 2006

Just me and my carbs

My lunch

Praise the Lord! My cold is gone! I'm really relieved I tell ya. I was so worried that I wouldn't get well in time for next Sunday's marathon. So I suppose the Febs tablets did work and my prayers didn't go unanswered :)

Now that I'm well, it's high time I resume my training within this coming week. Geez, there's only 7 days left. I just went to collect my race pack yesterday and I've got to say that the reality sank in yet again - the ardous 42.195km that I would have to complete, just like last year. The pain I felt last year still lingers in my mind and somehow it seems like pure torture to run it again but I've decided that I'm going to stick by my guns and run the race with as much passion as I had last year. Not really sure if I can beat last year's timing though, given that I haven't been training enough because of my exams and cold. Ahhh... okay I shall stop worrying and leave it up to God. Seriously, it'll take a miracle for me to complete the race again this year. I remember praying really hard as I ran last year's marathon. Desperate times call for desperate measures after all! Last year I 'summoned' my guardian angels, and prayed to God for mental and physical strength and I am definitely going to do the same this year!

Now now, of course I must do my part and those running the race this year will know that one aspect includes carbo-loading! This is my most FAVOURITE part. Why? Well, hello, if you know me, you'd know that I cannot stay away from carbs. Bread, pasta, noodles, rice, you name it, I love it. So it's super cool to know that I actually have to consume more carbs so that I'll have enough energy to run the race this coming Sunday.

So speaking of carbs, I got down to business and made some pasta dish for lunch today. Mum was lazy to cook again (as usual) so I raided the fridge and used what was in it. I could have gone out to buy lunch but honestly, I'm sick of oily, salty, msg-laden food. Besides, I felt like some pasta.

It so happens that Dad is on this crab-craze. He's been buying alot of flower crabs of late and has them steamed. Today he steamed quite a few and left some in the fridge. I saw the crabs when I opened the fridge and then I had an idea. I could make something with the crabmeat and so I took the flower crabs and extracted the meat:

flower crab

I really think these are pretty crabs. And is it me or do I see a cross on the shell? Oh blessed crabs. haha. What a Godsend! :)

With my crabmeat, I scoured the kitchen for more ingredients and finally put together a cold pasta salad dish that looked very 'rojak' but tastes really good:

wholemeal pasta

I used wholemeal pasta, celery, tomatoes, kalamata olives, crabmeat. For the dressing, I mixed together some olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, and used Masterfood's blend of spaghetti bolognese herbs (contains a mix of dried oregano, thyme, basil, red bell peppers, parsley and garlic).

This pasta is best eaten chilled. Best of all, it's uber healthy! I'm so going to make this again before the marathon. Pastas are so versatile you know - as long as you have the right dressing, it'll probably taste good and please, nothing can go wrong with tomatoes in pasta, oh and balsamic vinegar. Yummy.

You can give me a million dollars and I would never ever give up my carbs. I love them too much, period.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh so yummy! I love crabs in my pasta too! and this pasta salad looks damn goooood!! I like pineapples n raisins in mine too!

Anonymous said...

wow..your pasta sure looks good ar..! :) I love to cook my pasta with lots of capsiums.

Yes..i agree with u totally! I wouldn't give up anything for carbs. .its the primary source of energy to keep us alive.

Anyway i'll be there at the marathon helping out..hope to see ya there. ;P

Sammy said...

Ohh I like pasta salad but I just can't find or make any good sauce! Any recipes? haha

Hope to see you both at the marathon!

mingz said...

wow!! so nice!!
cook for me =)

Anonymous said...

ya, crabs r fabulous manz! it's so so so good esp those steamed flower crabs. shiok eh :Þ
& your pasta looks grrreat & delicious.

Jojo Tan said...

hi there!! sorry, abit of off topic here, i hv a question abt the hershey's best chocolate brownie that u baked the other time, i tried, and my result is crisp and nice on the outside and soft and chewy kind on the inside..would u have any idea how i can improve it? heh heh... thanks yah!! overall the brownie was really good! esp with ice-cream! :)

Jojo Tan said...

hmm, actually i meant how can i improve the inside so that its not so chewy? hee...

tigerfish said...

It always amazed me that you make finding those ingredients such as flower crabs, wholewheat pasta etc. so easy in Singapore. All these ingredients are commonly found in U.S though. You are indeed also a diligent shopper huh :p

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter