Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Japanese Curry

Vermont Curry Mix

Being a chilli-lover, I found it hard to comprehend the unique qualities of Japanese Curry. Those who've tasted it would know exactly what I'm talking about. I have no idea why they call it curry when it lacks that spicy kick. I used to think all curries had to be spicy but now I know otherwise.

I soon learnt to like Japanese Curry. Why? Because of it's simplicity and sweet thickness. Usually cooked with potatoes, carrots, onions and meat, it's so easy to make - when you use a curry mix that is. I love how thick it gets and pouring it all over my rice/noodles really gets to me. I love seeing that thick brown sauce covering something plain and making my meal so much more appealing.

So I had to try making Japanese Curry myself and I went to buy myself the Vermont Curry Mix by House brand. I think it's from Japan? Anyway I got the mild one, which had a hint of apple and honey. Perfect. This is how the curry pieces look:

Curry Pieces

I made this dish on a Saturday afternoon and let me tell you how easy it is! All you have to do is to cook the meat, potatoes, carrots and onions, add water and the mix, and viola!

Japanese Curry

You'll get lovely Japanese Curry! You can have it with rice or pasta but I went for something different:

Apricot Couscous

I made Apricot Couscous. Why? Because I love couscous. I think it goes well with curries! Thank God my sis and JF liked it. They lapped it up nice and good :)

Apricot Couscous with Jap Curry

There you have it! Easy to make Japanese Curry and Apricot Couscous! Yummy.....

____________________________________________________________

Japanese Curry

1 box House Vermont Curry Sauce Mix (or any other brand)
500 g meat (beef, pork, chicken)
4 medium onions (800 g)
4 medium potatoes (600 g)
1 medium carrot (200g)

Method:
Cut meat, onions, potatoes and carrot into bite size pieces.

Saute in saucepan until lightly browned. Add 5 and 3/4 cups (1400 ml) water and bring to boil. Cook over low to medium heat about 20 minutes, or until tender.

Remove from heat. Break curry sauce mix into pieces and add to saucepan.

Cook over low heat about 20 minutes, or until curry thickens. Serve over cooked rice or pastas.

*When using a half packet, please add half the amount of ingredients mentioned on the package and 3 and 1/2 cups (approx 850ml) water.

______________________________________________________________

Apricot Couscous

Making couscous in a traditional couscousiere is time-consuming, but gives incredibly fluffy results. Making instant couscous in a pan is simple, but yields clumpy results. This method splits the difference: it?s easy and you get much lighter couscous.

2 cups dry couscous
1/2 cup diced dried apricots (preferably Turkish)
3 cups boiling water
1 teaspoon salt

In a medium-size baking dish, stir together couscous and apricots. Mix boiling water and salt in a measuring cup. Pour over couscous, and immediately cover the dish with foil. Let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove foil, and fluff couscous with a fork.

If you need to keep it warm, place couscous in a low oven until ready to serve.

Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter