Sunday, November 06, 2005

A Trip down Geylang Serai

Dates
Plenty of dates for the taking

Geylang Serai is a haven for all things malay - from food to clothes, textiles, and what not. It's a lovely place and ideal for anyone who wants to savour a bit of the Malay culture. This Thursday was Hari Raya Puasua, meaning 'day of celebration'. It's actually a festival that marks the end of Ramadan, a month of fasting for the muslims. During this period, Geylang Serai is transformed into a bustling market of sorts, not unlike Chinatown during CNY.

I was there last week and it was very crowded due to the probable last minute rush to get the things they need for the big day. And so I trotted down rather happily, in anticipation of savouring good Malay food and soak up the atmosphere. I did go home happy, albeit smelling very much like grilled meat and yes my hair stank too! But i'd say it was all worth it. I have plenty of photos for you to enjoy... it's a mini photo essay of sorts - of the food I came across at Geylang Serai.

Endless jars of cookies
Rows and rows of cookies, tarts, and goodies

Watermelon cookies
check out this cute watermelon shaped cookies

M&M Cookies
my my, aren't they so innovative - look at them M&Ms, in cookie form

Putu Piring auntie
Putu Piring in the making

Preparing putu piring
Putu Piring is actually steamed rice flour cake with a gula melaka centre

Cooked putu piring
cooked putu piring... notice the brown stuff? that's the gula melaka in the middle

Prata Tumbuk
the sign read prata tumbuk... supposedly some indian street food

Cooking Ramly Burgers
the ever so famous Ramly burgers. They're best eaten with egg and cheese. Mmmm heavenly

Kebabs
kebabs for the meat lovers

Street Stalls at Geylang Serai
anyone wants chicken wings?

Chicken Wings
Look at that lovely orange hue of those wings

Grilled prawns and meat
huge tiger prawns, and their version of the Chinese 'bak kwa', except that this is made of beef i think

Indian Snack
love this indian snack.. it's made of chick peas, dhal etc.. best eaten with green chilli

Beef Dogs
forgot the proper name for these but i call them beef dogs. it's stuffed with some beef mixture. looks yummy doesn't it?

Haig Road Famous Putu Piring
this has got to be the best putu piring yet!

Have I whet your appetite? I think you must be wishing you were at Geylang Serai now eh? Anyway I have to rave about this putu piring stall at S11 Geylang Serai Makan Place. It's located at Haig Road, at Geylang Serai. It's a small corner at a coffeeshop and boy oh boy.... their putu piring is superb. Served warm and at a reasonable price of 3 for $1, I just had to get some. They were featured on Makansutra before and I remember seeing them on Food Chain, the progamme hosted by Tan Kheng Hua. I do think this putu piring was better than the one I tasted whilst walking through the market.

This stall at S11 had a long queue and we all know why. So do check it out if you have a chance too. You might be a new putu piring fan like i am. Now that i've 'conquered' Geylang Serai, I feel like doing Little India too. Maybe I shall... soon enough, after my exams are over! till then..

P.S. This is my 100th post on this food blog of mine!~ can't believe i've written so much... well let's just say that I'm incomplete without food. i am passionate about a good eat and yes i love to bake and cook! i promise to keep the content coming and look out for more delicious recipes, reviews and ramblings about food. i hope to revamp this site soon but I have yet to find someone who can help ( i suck at html)... oh well we'll see...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

actually hari raya puasa is not their new year. the new year is some time in april for muslims.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

All this nice food has made me drool!!! I wouldn't mind tasting those Putu Pirig and those cookies look so cute and delicious...

Anonymous said...

Anon, I agree. Hari Raya isn't the Muslim new year. Muslim new year is called Awal Muharram. No, it's not just celebrated in April. The Muslim calendar has less days than the Roman one. So, the date differs every year.

I like this Geylang Serai post. I miss dendeng (daging salai) the most! It's not easy to find halal ones in Malaysia.

Anonymous said...

I had huge tiger prawns last night, had a Raya barbeque at home. Yummy! Not a fan of begedil, though.

the baker said...

ahh, sorry about that mix-up! yes i just realised hari raya is not their new year. have edited my post =) thanks for the heads-up!

aww guys, wish all of you could actually be here in singapore to savour all these goodies! =p hope this makes you wanna come here...

Samantha said...

Hi Hi!!! Sam here! WOWww.. food looks good! Mus try a cake baked by da great baker one day! :P Can u do me a super truffle choco cake? with lots of fudge and choco chips too? mwahaha!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was actually googling putu piring when I stumbled across your blog - great one too!

I just heard this week (14 Mar 2006) that the Geylang putu piring whose photos you have on your blog has closed down and moved away! Horrors! Anyone know where they went to? I need my putu piring fix!

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter