Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Orange and Poppy Seed Butter Cake

”Orange
Have a slice of cake if you please...

Been craving for butter cake of late. There really is nothing like good simple butter cake. I've always been sticking to chocolate so I thought why not do something different? Thus this Orange and Poppy Seed Butter Cake. It just so happened the my aunt gave me some poppy seeds last week and I wanted to use them. I remembered this butter cake recipe from one of Donna Hay's Magazine and decided to go with it.

If you're wondering what poppy seeds are; well it's actually from the poppy plant which is used to make opium. Before you start thinking that it's all drugs, let me have you know that you can't possibly get high just by eating poppy seed cake. haha... besides, poppy seed is a much popular ingredient in baked goods like bagels and cakes, especially Chiffon cakes! (my aunt makes excellent orange poppy seed chiffon cakes that are as airy and fluffy as clouds).

Hmmm well poppy seeds are banned here I think. But my aunt got hers from the U.S. the last time she went there. So heh, all's good! I like how the seeds provide an extra crunch and a slight nuttiness to your cakes etc. They look like small black dots:

”Poppyseed
folding the poppy seeds into my cake batter - look how tiny the seeds are?

”Batter
mixed cake batter in cake tin, ready to be baked.

I liked how this cake turned out - moist and not too dry. Love the fresh citrus-y taste. Hmmm feel like baking poppy seed cookies next. We'll see... I have only some seeds left.

_______________________________________________

Orange and Poppy Seed Butter Cake

185g (6 and 1/2 oz) butter, softened
1 and 3/4 cups caster (superfine) sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 eggs
3/4 cup (6 fl oz) sour cream
2 and 1/4 cups plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
1 and 1/4 teaspoons baking powder, sifted
1/2 cup (4 fl oz) orange juice
2 tablespoons finely grated orange rind
1/3 cup poppy seeds

1) Preheat the oven to 160 degree celcius (320 Fahrenheit).
2) Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 8-10 minutes or until light and creamy
3) Gradually add the eggs and sour cream and beat well
4) Fold through the flour and baking powder.
5) Add orange juice, orange rind and poppyseeds. Mix well.
6) Spoon the mixture into a 22cm (8 and 1/2 inches) round cake tin lined with baking paper and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
7) Cool in the tin for 10 minutes then trn onto a wire rack

Serves 8-10.

Donna Hay Magazine
Issue 20

7 comments:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Your cake looks particularly yummy!!!
I know the lemon version, but I've never tried it this way...

Rachel said...

yum! i love how the poppy seeds were smuggled in to you!

Nic said...

I think you added just the perfect amount of poppy seeds because the cake looks stunning! I, too, love the smuggled poppy seed story.

rokh said...

they do sell it here in malaysia and i had wondered what to do with it. i might just try out your recipe! thanks

the baker said...

rosa: yea, i loved the refreshing citrus taste... the poppy seeds made it better! try it :)

rachel: haha yea i had loads of fun amusing my friends (most of them didn't know what poppy seeds were!) and seeing their eyes widening when i said it was from the poppy flower which opium comes frm...

nic: i love poppy seeds! just too bad they don't sell it here. its ridiculous i say... you gotta eat kilos of them seeds before you get anywhere near high! hahaa. i hope the authoritites don't see this lest they come knocking on my door =p

rokh: they have it in malaysia? cool... will def. get some when i go there. i'll be heading to klang in dec to visit my grannie! which part of m'sia you from?

rokh said...

i'm from Taiping, but currently now staying in PJ. klang serves mean BKT!

myCoffee said...

Looks lovely! I'm motivated to bake one too. ;)

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter