Friday, October 21, 2005

SHF #13 - The Dark Side

unfrosted dark chocolate coffee surprise cake
Guess what cake i am?

Dark is good, I say.

Give me the darkest possible...

Make that extra dark, no wait, give me dark, and black and bitter...

Mmmmm.... I can simply go on and on and on about this dark desire of mine.

If you've been a regular reader, I won't even need to elaborate and you'll get my point.

I've always loved chocolate, and especially dark chocolate. The darker the better... Okay, to be specific, the higher cocoa percentage the better, but that means it'll be slightly bitter but hey I like my chocolate that way! That's proper chocolate.

So imagine my excitement when I found out that this month's theme for Sugar High Friday was Dark Chocolate! Hosted by Lovescool, this month's edition is one that I knew I can't miss.

I was rummaging through my recipe books and recipe file, hunting for a perfect recipe to try. In the end, I settled for something quite unique, a new recipe i've never tried before. Since today's Thelma's birthday and we were going to meet up with some friends, I thought I'd bake a lovely cake for her. I'm using this cake as my SHF entry. Killing two birds with one stone, no?

frosted with nutella


So I ended up baking a Dark Chocolate Coffee Surprise Cake. This is kind of like a coffee cake, with dark chocolate chunks. I frosted the cake with a bit of nutella because I'm not sure if it'll be too bitter for her liking. Personally, I would have liked it just as it was, afterall I do love dark chocolate don't I? hahaa well but I really hope Thelma likes it! Oh yes, and I named it surprise cake because I think the chunks is kind of like a surprise... You'll only know that the cake is peppered with choc chunks only when you bite into it. I actually used a cupcake recipe and simply baked it as a cake. I did have some leftover batter which I used to bake some cupcakes for my family.


dark choc coffee cupcakes
closeup cupcake

All right, I've offically crossed over to 'The Dark Side' and I'm loving it! ;p

slice of dark chocolate coffee surprise cake
a slice of the cake

*P.S. Thelma loved the cake! and so did the rest of my friends. :)
___________________________________________

Dark Chocolate Coffee Surprise Cake

200g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
375g flour
4 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tsp baking powder
200g butter
250g sugar
2 eggs
5 tbsp milk
7 tbsp cold strong coffee

Method:
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degree celcius
2. Cream butter and sugar until fluffy.
3. Add the eggs, then the milk and coffee and mix well.
4. In a seperate bowl, mix the dry ingredients - flour, cocoa, baking powder.
5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir in dark chocolate pieces.
6. Pour batter into a round cake tin (approx 9 or 10 inches), and bake for about an hour.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh, i am looking forward to the pics

jadepearl said...

Can't wait to see the photos!!!
I love the dark side too...:)

SarahLaeL said...

not much of a dark chocolate fan but it does look scrumptious. perhaps i shall try that? anyways, just wanna add that i love your food blog. might i link you up?

SarahLaeL said...

not much of a dark chocolate person myself but it does look great. anyhows, i like your blog. might i link up to yours? =)

Robyn said...

Nutella!?! Excellent choice with this cake! It looks very yummy!

Anonymous said...

Even the photos look decadent!!

Chanita Harel חני הראל said...

This cake looks good, thanks for the recipe ! ;)

Joycelyn said...

hi, everything looks incredible...the very personification of the dark side...

Vidya said...

is this cake supposed to have a fudgy consistency, or did i do something wrong?

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter