Thursday, September 29, 2005

Popovers

Popovers with maple syrup
my freshly baked breakfast with delicious maple syrup. it can't get any better than this!

A few days ago, I woke up in the morning, feeling very hungry. I was looking forward to breakfast and stepped into the kitchen in hope of finding something delicious in the refridgerator. Okay, that is a habit of mine. Haha, I'm very much of a breakfast person as most of you would know by now. Thing is, sometimes my mum goes to the market early in the morning and buys breakfast; or my dad would bring home food the previous night after his night shift.

Alas, there wasn't anything in the fridge. There wasn't anything appetising. And so, I immediately searched for this popover recipe that Nic of BakingSheet tried a few months ago. I remembered taking note of it and had every intention of baking it for breakfast one of these days. Her popovers were lemon-scented though. I made mine plain. You should know why:

Popovers with Chocolate syrup

Predictable of me eh? Plain popovers drizzled with chocolate syrup. I also had some with maple syrup.

The thing about popovers is that it looks a bit like muffins but it isn't. It actually tastes like pancakes; well the ingredients used are similar. Mine didn't puff up as much as Nic's:

Fresh popovers from the oven

I guess that's because I forgot to take her advice - she actually poked her popovers halfway through the baking process to let out the steam, thus causing it to be hollow in the middle and crispy on the outside. I'll remember to do that next time.

Cross section of popover

Anyway, my popovers didn't turn out too bad. Here's how it looks on the inside. I do think popovers make a brilliant breakfast - at least it did the trick for me.

________________________________________

Popovers

1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 cup milk
melted unsalted butter for brushing the popoever pan

Method:
1. Sift together flour and salt.
2. Whish together eggs and milk in a small bowl.
3. Add the milk mixture to the flour mixture, and mix the batter till smooth.
4. In a preheated 450 Fahrenheit / 240 degree celcius oven, heat a six-cup popover pan or six 2/3 cup custard cups for 5 minutes, or until it is hot.
5. Brush the cups with melted butter and fill them half full with the batter.
6. Bake the popovers in the middle of the 450 Fahrenheit oven for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 375 Fahrenheit / 190 degree celcius and bake the popvers for another 20 minutes or until they are golden broan and crisp.

Makes 6 popovers

Gourmet
January 1991
Epicurious.com

5 comments:

Nic said...

Well, even if they're not the puffiest popovers, they still looke delicious!

Anonymous said...

Yah, looks really good! I am waiting, patiently, for the recipe.

joone! said...

They still look delicious!

Anonymous said...

hi care to share what chocolate sauce you use? i can't find good chocolate sauce in sg w/o caramel or maple. i just luv old gold chocolate sauce found in OZ supermart.

Anonymous said...

i love yr website! they look delicious! how come u haven been posting recently? busy? take care! (:

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter