Friday, June 03, 2005

A Baker's Excitement

Donna Hay Magazine

Many things excite me. Me, being the die-hard baker that I am, I tend to love flipping through baking/cooking/food magazines. Whether it be the library or the bookshop, I normally dive straight into the food section. Maybe I'm just this maniac who finds sweet solace in burying her nose in any thing that looks like it would taste like heaven. i wonder how heaven would really taste like. considering if one can actually taste up there. heh. anyway, it's to no surprise that I bought a recent issue of Donna Hay's Magazine when I was browsing at Times Bookshop. I got to admit, it's my first time reading it and I was so bowled over that I actually bought it! Paid SGD$9.90. It's quite expensive for a magazine but it's darn worth it. There's like so many different recipes ranging from fuss-free lunch/dinners to baking pies, cakes and even souffles. The photography is impeccable. Looking at the front cover already makes you drool. It says alot. It practically drawed me to it. I know I'm going to have a great time trying out the recipes one by one. Look out world, here I come.... to bake/cook/eat more yummy eats.

Vanilla Pods

Take one good look at this photo. Need I say more? This is the ultimate ingredient every baker must have. It's 10 times better than vanilla essence or vanilla extract. But it's kind of sad that down here in tropical Singapore, we hardly see vanilla pods. They're not a common sight. In fact, this was the first time i've seen it. And I knew I just had to buy them. Got it from Phoon Huat, this amazing one-stop baking needs store. It's very expensive. Those 3 tiny pods cost me about SGD$4. That's like only 8 grams of vanilla pods. *Sigh* what to do... it's a rare sight and I know it's money well spent... now, i just have to find the perfect recipe to use it. might try out vanilla creme brulee. Mmmmm....

Tart Tin

If you've noticed by now, this post is mainly about what has got me all excited this past week. I've spent quite alot buying ingredients and equipment for new stuff I'm planning to bake. But what can I say, I do think it's worth it. Take this Tart Tin for example. I just learnt how to make tarts and I do like how it's so easy and delicious. Therefore, I decided to invest in a proper tart tin and viola, there you have it. my first tart tin. =) yes yes, I know most of you would already have had a tart tin since god knows when... but hey, tarts are my latest foray and I do regret not making them before! I'm now a tart convert. hahaa....

anyway look out for my upcoming post on TARTS... yes... that's the theme for the upcoming Sugar High Friday: Tantalizing Titillating Tempting Tarts. It'll be my first time taking part! had wanted to participate previously but was too busy.. but now, the tart theme could't have come at a better time! so i have to take part of course...

3 comments:

the baker said...

hey jennifer,

yea i second that. the usual extract and essence i use pales in comparison to the real thing. but oh well. but my pods are still sitting in the fridge till i can find a good recipe for them! =)

Cate said...

I love Donna Hay's magazine and have been subscribing for awhile now. Beautiful photography, with simple recipes that are fancy enough for entertaining. She just (in the US) released her newest cookbook. Enjoy your new find!

Anonymous said...

Where did you get your tart tin? Or all of your equipment, for that matter? The tart tin looks so nice.

Powered by Blogger



Tell me when this blog is updated

what is this?



Site Meter